Printer Friendly Email a Friend PDF RSS Feed

Dynamic Chiropractic – January 14, 1994, Vol. 12, Issue 02

If Everyone Would Just...

By Donald M. Petersen Jr., BS, HCD(hc), FICC(h), Publisher
Have you ever considered the chiropractic profession as an economic entity:
What do we earn?

Where do we spend our money?

How many people do we affect?

What could we accomplish if we focussed our assets?

Consider these facts:
Over 49,000 chiropractors (in the US alone), seeing an average of 700 patients1 each equals over 34 million patients.

These same 49,000+ DCs each average $180,000 gross income2 for a total of almost $9 billion.

Each chiropractor spends an approximate average of $206 per month on yellow page advertising,3 this equates to over $10 million per month or almost $122 million per year!

Even a small modification of these activities can translate into a major force for this profession. The only problem is getting everyone involved.

The solution to the involvement problem is a matter of trust, credibility and commitment. While most DCs are committed, they don't always trust that the organization can or will do the job. This is why so much is currently being accomplished by coalitions.

A team comprised of many well known and trustworthy individuals representing the major, credible organizations, harnesses the best talent and focuses it on a particular issue.

Gathering and unifying such a coalition is usually very difficult. When all of the relevant groups join together, this is a signal to the rest of the profession. This is the time when every DC, regardless of affiliation or philosophy, should support the unified effort.

Each person can readily trust that the differing points of view will balance each other and the creative synergy will provide the best ideas towards a solution. But a coalition can only generate the ideas. The profession must make it happen.

The marketing of chiropractic is a case in point. Recognize that yellow page advertising is directed towards people who have been treated by a chiropractor. Yellow page advertising will not markedly increase the percentage of the population that utilizes chiropractic. The extra dollars you spend on those ads are to compete with the similar ads of other DCs.

Consider what would happen if every chiropractor reduced the size of their yellow page advertising by a mere $42 per month. If this money could be combined with an equal amount from every DC in the United States, this would generate over $2 million per month or almost $25 million per year.

Currently the chiropractic profession is treating a little more than 13 percent of the US population. A $25 million marketing budget could make real inroads into the other 87 percent. Now, instead of fighting over the same 34 million patients, we could be expanding our overall market share. Converting another five percent of the population translates into an average of 102 new patients per chiropractor.

This is exactly what the Chiropractic Centennial Foundation (CCF) is trying to accomplish with its Sponsorship Program. As you can see by the list of trustees and institutional members found on page four (most state associations are also members), this organization has very broad support. Every chiropractic college in North America, regardless of philosophy, is included.

Chiropractors and chiropractic corporations have already donated almost $1.3 million for a massive chiropractic marketing campaign in 1995. This is better than we have ever had, but it is only a small percentage of what we need.

It's time for you to get involved. Write "Reach the other 87% in 1995" on the back of your business card and send it to:

Chiropractic Centennial Foundation -- Sponsorship
12300 SW Sidney Road
Port Orchard, Washington 98366

You will be sent information on how you can help bring chiropractic to the rest of the world and make 1995 the Year of Chiropractic.

This is not just a donation, it's an investment.

DMP Jr., BS, HCD(hc)

References

  1. While various survey results differ, these numbers are among the more conservative. Wardwell W. Chiropractic: History and Evolution of a New Profession. Mosby Year Book, 1992.

     

  2. Ibid.

     

  3. Hurwitz E, Phillips R: Chiropractic in the yellow pages: a content analysis study. JMPT, 11(4):281-89, Aug. 1988.

Click here for more information about Donald M. Petersen Jr., BS, HCD(hc), FICC(h), Publisher.

Join the conversation
Comments are encouraged, but you must follow our User Agreement
Keep it civil and stay on topic. No profanity, vulgar, racist or hateful comments or personal attacks. Anyone who chooses to exercise poor judgement will be blocked. By posting your comment, you agree to allow MPA Media the right to republish your name and comment in additional MPA Media publications without any notification or payment.

To report inappropriate ads, click here.