Printer Friendly Email a Friend PDF RSS Feed

Dynamic Chiropractic – November 6, 1995, Vol. 13, Issue 23

Robert L. Hulsebus, DC (1921-1995)

A Moment of Silence ... for Robert L. Hulsebus, DC

By Editorial Staff
Dr. Robert L. Hulsebus, 74, passed away peacefully at his home in Freeport, Illinois, Thursday morning, Sept. 28, 1995.

Born in 1921 to Sam and Molly Hulsebus, he was raised in the small town of Mondamin, Iowa.

He grew up with an older brother, Russell, and two sisters, Evelyn and Mickey.

After high school, Robert joined the service, became an infantry sergeant, and served in Europe during WWII. He was wounded and received the Purple Heart. Returning home, he met Ruth Drunasky of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, and the couple was married in 1946.

Robert enrolled at the Palmer School of Chiropractic in 1946. After graduation in 1949, he set up his office and residence in a home in Byron, Illinois, a town of 1,200 people, with a large contingent of veterans. The veterans formed a bridge club and the members became lifelong friends. In 1955 he purchased a building on Route 2 for his growing practice, and during the first three years there, his three sons were born: Roger, Mike, and Jim.

In 1974, Robert's eldest son, Roger, became the first of the second generation of Hulsebus chiropractors, followed by sons Michael and Jim in 1975 and 1977 respectively. Today, the three sons have eight chiropractic offices in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

Dr. Hulsebus became involved in the Illinois Prairie State Chiropractic Assoc. (IPSCA), serving as president in 1964, and 1965. He was named IPSCA "Chiropractor of the Year" (1963 and 1966), and was the legislative chairman for the Illinois assoc. for many years. His tenure with the ICA included 20 years as its legislative chairman; vice president (1979-82), and numerous awards: "Distinguished Fellow" (1972); ICA "Chiropractor of the Year" (1977); "Outstanding Service" as chairman of the ICA legislative committee (1983); "Meritorious Service" (1985); "Excellence in Service" (1986); "Excellence Award" for leadership in advancing federal legislation for chiropractic in 1988. He was also president of the Palmer International Alumni Assoc. (1976-78).

Dr. Hulsebus had residences in Freeport, Illinois and Jensen Beach, Florida, and was active in the Catholic church and community affairs: Rotary Club; Byron Teen Town; American Legion; Knights of Columbus, among others.

Bob is survived by his wife, Ruth, his three sons, chiropractors all, Roger, Michael, and James; 10 grandchildren (the oldest, Tara, has enrolled at Palmer College); sister, Evelyn Barnum, and many nieces and nephews.

A Robert L. Hulsebus memorial has been established at the Palmer College of Chiropractic Research Dept., 1000 Brady St., Davenport, Iowa 52803.


To report inappropriate ads, click here.