Dr. James Parker -- A Remarkable 50 Years of Chiropractic Service
By Editorial Staff
Dr. James William Parker, founder of the Parker School for Professional Services seminars and Parker College of Chiropractic, is celebrating a remarkable milestone this year: five decades of service to the chiropractic profession.
As is true of many great figures in the profession, Dr. Parker became interested in chiropractic when, with the help of chiropractic care, he recovered from severe back and neck injuries when he was 12 years old. He followed in the footsteps of his first chiropractic mentor, Dr. Roy LeMond, and graduated from Palmer School of Chiropractic in July 1946.
Dr. Parker ran two successful practices in Illinois, and later opened and maintained eight practices throughout Texas during the next five years. He became renowned for his efficient office procedures and effective patient communication methods. As more and more DCs sought his advice on how to generate patient and practice results, Dr. Parker met that need with the Parker seminars in 1951. By 1971, the Parker Chiropractic Resource Foundation, responsible for overseeing the seminars, had outgrown its headquarters and relocated to a much larger facility in Fort Worth, Texas.
Building on the educational aspirations that had begun with the seminars, Dr. Parker opened Parker College in Irving, Texas on September 12, 1982 with 27 registered students. Seven years later, the college added the Dallas BETA campus to accommodate its ever©growing student population. Today, Parker College of Chiropractic is comprised of three campuses spread over 90 acres, has students representing 93 countries, and has graduated 32 classes boasting 1,700 alumni.
Dr. Parker's latest undertaking is his autobiography, At That Point in Time, which has a tentative publication date of 2000.