The findings, published as Pain in America, were presented to the Arthritis Foundation by Ogilvy Public Relations. The report was prepared for Merck.*
Here are some highlights from Pain in America:
- 89% report "some sort of pain on a monthly-or-more basis."
- 68% experience pain weekly, and 42% experience pain daily.
- Most types of pain suffered are typically addressed by chiropractic
- 51% have visited a doctor because of their pain in the last three years.
- Only 42% believe "their doctor completely understands how they feel" about their pain.
- 27% missed work in the past year because of pain.
- 43% say pain affects one or more regular activities.
- 64% only see MDs when they can't stand the pain.
- 55% are uncomfortable with regular pain medication.
- 39% will not take medication due to side effects.
A report of this caliber should be considered by the chiropractic profession in all aspects of advertising and public relations. These results indicate an unmistakable demand for health care that treats pain and encourages better health.
* Merck (www.merck.com ) describes itself as a "worldwide research-intensive company that discovers and develops, manufactures and markets human and animal health products and services. The Merck-Medco managed care division manages pharmacy benefits for more than 50 million Americans."